Hey all you moms out there. As I'm beginning to think about doing a baby registry for our first kiddo, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the "must haves" being sold out there for life with a new baby. I know that you can get by without lots of the STUFF out there, but I'm just curious as to what you found were the "necessities" and what were the things that you never used or think are a waste of space and money. We have a tiny house, so I definitely want to keep things simple and uncluttered. The less we can get by with, the better.I'd love to hear your thoughts even on just a few items - and even if you don't normally comment here. Thanks!
11 comments:
I'm with you, Abbey.. on the small space issue! The one "contraption" I consider a must-have is a bouncy seat. I used it everyday. It was great! They even make swings that have a detachable seat which is a bouncy seat. I think that's a cool idea. 2-in-1! And, obviously a crib! We borrowed a full-size swing and did use it some, but probably not enough to merit buying one to take up the space... The smaller swings do the same job, I think. Oh, and we used a baby bathtub everyday, too. Kind of a pain to store, but super useful to us!
Things I'm glad I have:
-bouncy seat (I used to use mine to set her in on the counter while I was doing my hair and make-up. Or on the kitchen table while I was making dinner)
-swing (especially helpful if you don't have a good nap taker.)
-boppy
-space saver high chair (the one that goes in a chair)
-Hippo hook-on (for when they're older. You can take it everywhere!)
-Mam pacifiers. (Once your little one is nursing well, don't fall into the the soothie believer world.)
-pacifier leash, as we like to call it.
- some sort of toy to strap across the car seat.
-lots of burp cloths
-and plain onezies
-pampers swaddlers (you can downgrade when their you know what isn't so runny... but it's worth it in the beginning.)
-pack-n-play that has a bassinet. that way you don't have to have two separate "big" items.
-nursing cover
-go ahead and register for some nice bottles, bottle cleaners, and even a pump. Good things to have!
Recommendations I go on things not to get:
-diaper genie (all moms have told me they are a scam... I've heard good things about the diaper champ though
-wipe warmer
When you go, they may ask you if you'd like the pre-made list. I recommend saying no thank you. Otherwise you end up with three pages worth of items, most of which you don't really need right away if ever.
ooh, fun! Here's a couple of thing's I've loved:
-Nursing pillow
-Diaper champ. I heard the same stuff as Katie about the genie. The champ just uses grocery bags and we love it.
-We borrowed a Baby Bjorn and LOVED it. Those are expensive though, so I'm sure the knock-off brands are just as good. So much easier than a stroller but still "manlier" than a sling. =)
Not so needed:
-Wipe warmer. Dried them out.
-Bumbo. Some moms swear by this, but Annie was way too active to stay in it.
- MY FAVORITE must have is the Ultimate Crib Sheet
- burp cloths
- light-weight flannel blankets
- baby wash clothes
- a rocking chair or glider
- i don't have a Baby Bjorn but if you can afford it- get it, because i have a cheaper brand & it kinda hurts my back.
- bouncy seats are great
- Giselle loves her walker (at 5mo.)
- hand-held breast pump and zip-lock freezer bags(in the nursing section at Walmart)
- if you have some one to help you bath your babe you may not need a tub. just fill your kitchen sink.
- diaper rash cream
- blue nose suction thing and saline nose drops (used them almost ever night & she's used to it by now)
- pack-n-play with the bassinet
- fan in his/her room
- little nail clippers
::Things i could live without::
-changing table; use a low dresser and put the changing pad on top. This way it grows with your baby.
- Giselle didn't like the bumbo seat
- bassinet
Thanks gals this is great! Katie, what is a hippo hook on? don't think i've heard of it. also what are Mam pacifiers?
The hippo thing is a portable high chair that clamps onto a table (we have one if you want to look at it) and the mam pacifiers are the same ones Fiona uses.
Hey Abbey,
I remember feeling overwhelmed with registering! I recomend registering in stages...I think I went back a three times and also added things online. Doing it all at once can be a lot.
I loved and still love the Bumbo seat. I started him in it really early and it was a huge blessing. I also got the tray for it and I still use it instead of a high chair.
Ditto to the Boppy.
Butt Paste is the best for diaper rash.
Jonny Jumper for the doorway has alo been a must have in our house.
I also recommend borrowing a swing from someone before purchasing it. I had one and Sawyer hated it...I ended up selling it and getting a chair that was more upright and also vibrated...I think for some reason Sawyer like sitting up higher...not sure why he didn't like the swing. But I do know lots of people who swear by them. Every baby is different...that is the joy.
hope this helps a little :-)
Yep... Everyone is right on!
-The bouncy seat is a lifesaver!
-Evangeline loved her swing for about 6 weeks, but is kind of bored with it already.
-we got a ton of thin flannel blankets at the thrift store and just 'sterilized' them really good.
-Rocking chair is essential
-We hardly used a bassinet
-I asked for too many crib sheets, you're doing tons of laundry anyway
-lots of mam pacifiers (Evangeline took them the day she was born and never had a problem nursing)
-a friend gave me a great breast pump. I didn't think I'd use it... but it's wonderful!
- Maybe borrow a sling from a friend. Evangeline only like being in one for the first few weeks.
-diaper champ, great! Diaper genie, No.
-We got the cheapest baby tub (white and yellow). It folds up and we love it
- baby moniter... not the video one... kind of silly.
*Ask for money or gift cards and get a good stroller. We LOVE our Maxi Cosi! It's pricey, but we paid for the whole thing with gift cards!
Thanks everyone! This is helpful. I'm blessed to have you guys in my life to ask these types of questions :) I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.
http://bellinboys.blogspot.com/2009/07/must-haves-for-twins-or-baby.html
I stumbled on your blog from another blog -- I had twins back in Feb and I put together my list of must haves. Hope it helps!
Hey Ab :)
Good recommendations. Sal has my turqoise Bumbo seat- you are welcome to it next :) Sophia is just about grown out of her Graco car seat ($130) if you want that... it is brown with paisley so it could go boy for sure.
I just throw the diapers in the trash b/c we take it out often. And when bigger put the stinky ones in a plastic grocery.
I have two great slings too if you want to borrow. Can't say enough about slings for the "4th trimester" :)
Post a Comment