Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I am forcing myself to sit down and update this blog because if I don't do it now, another month will pass with no blog posts =) I can't seem to find the time for blogging these days. Hmm...let me see, what has been happening since my last post? We have been getting more and more settled in our house (which is coming along nicely by the way). Still in the unpacking/organizing/decorating stages, but that all takes time...more so now that I am working four days a week! I started working as a nanny in the beginning of July for twin baby boys. They are four months old and just as precious as can be! I love my job. Most days it doesn't feel like a real job because they are so cute and their little smiles just melt my heart. They're my little buds and we (for the most part) have lovely days together enjoying the gorgeous view from their condo. They live in downtown Norfolk RIGHT on the water...The entire backside of the condo is a waterfront view complete with sailboats docked outside the building. It is a peaceful place to say the least. But working has definately changed my pace of life. It's hard to find time to accomplish everything that is screaming for me to get done. The Lord is definately stretching me and teaching me to rely on Him for EVERYTHING. It has been great :)



Steve and I also have been given the opportunity to lead a caregroup which we started in July. We took over Sean and Jess Derrick's group when they moved to Richmond. We are really enjoying our group and the great fellowship and encouragement we get from it. It has been a real blessing and very exciting to see God working in and through us in this season. He's definately taking me out of my comfort zone and asking me to have faith for what He wants to do in our lives. It is a scary thing for me, but I am so thankful that He gives me the grace to do what he asks me to do. I can totally see Him meeting me in my weakness and supply me with the faith I need to walk the path He sets before me. I am EXCITED to see Him work.



Brian, Jess, Rach, Steve and I just got home from a short trip to New Hampshire this past weekend. Steve's parents had a reception/wedding shower for Brian and Jess for all their friends up North. It was also an opportunity for us to say goodbye to Steve's younger sister Becky and her husband and their two boys before they go on the mission field. They are leaving August 25th, going to Costa Rica for a year of language school, and then moving to Argentina where they will live as missionaries for an indefinate amount of time. They are very excited about this, and so we are glad to see them following God's calling on their lives, but we will miss them for sure. It was good to spend some time with them over the weekend.

On the way home we made a two hour stop in NYC :) We ate lunch at Goodburger and then walked around, saw Time Square, bought a few souvenirs,etc. Neither Rach or I had ever been, and Jess hadn't been since she was little, so it was a fun stop. I definately want to go back when we have longer to explore though.

And before I sign out for the night, can I just say that I'm so excited that I'm not going back to school this month!! I can really look forward to fall without the depressing school factor! haha.

7 comments:

Bekah said...

its about time you updated! ;) Your trip looks like so much fun...and how awesome that you dont have to go back to school! WOOHOO! Love you girl!

Natasha said...

And I enjoy having you guys as Care leaders. You guys are great!

Natasha said...

Oops I meant to say Care Group leaders (I accidentally left out "Group" :)

Anonymous said...

Abbey and Steve,
What a total joy to findy you had an update on your blog. We try to visualize you with the twin boys. I know you love them more and more each day.
We are hoping that it will be possible for you all to come at Thanksgiving. Pray! Pray! Pray!
We start community group soon. We aren't leaders anymore, but Uncle Lamar has placed us in a great and caring group. The leaders have two teen aged girls and two boys in college. Sue and Kelly are awesome. The other couples are young and are parents of little ones. Sarah and her husband Able Schaffer have one 5 yr. old daughter, and a little boy who is near three named John Henry. Every time he sees me he says "Hello, Mary Pat". Now they are expecting twins in Jan. You would love this couple and their precious little ones. Have to go. Blessings and love, Grandmir

Les said...

There you are Abbey! Love the update and all God is doing in your life. You should visit your sis in law in Costa Rica-- that is Wayne and I's favorite place (he says he wants to expatriate there!)

abbey said...

haha we're definately considering the possibility les! sounds like a great vacation :)

Sara said...

Abbey,
It is so exciting to see where God is growing you and Steve and what Joy it brings you to lay your life down for others that the Gospel may advance. Thank you for serving the church by laying your life down and serving the ladies in your care group---we are grateful for you and Steve. We will be praying for you guys!
Love,
Sara