Sunday, March 16, 2008

Home Renovation Part One: DEMOLITION

Exciting news in the lives of Steve and Abbey: we bought a house!!!! Yes, we will soon be moving to our new little home on the corner of Rokeby and Hazel in Chesapeake, VA. The Lord has been so good to provide such a great opportunity. We are very excited about this adventure. Leslie Crosby helped us start looking a little over a month ago and has been SUCH a huge help and blessing to us...couldn't have done it without her! We love the house we got...but there are a few little things that need to be done to it before we can move in...you know...minor things like rip down all existing dry wall, rewire all electric in the house, put in all new plumbing, insulation, new dry wall, lighting, cabinets and countertops, flooring, appliances...nothing that can't be done in a couple of months Lord willing.



No seriously, as adorable as this house is on the outside, it is pretty much gutted inside...nothing in it but the walls and they tore those down yesterday. It's pretty much down to the studs with mountains of debris covering the floors. The previous owner bought the house to renovate, but ended up needing to sell it before it was finished. He had already put up new siding, a new roof, new windows and a new heating/cooling system...so all that is left is the inside. We were able to get the house for a great price and, thanks to the assistance of Wayne and Les, will be able to finish all the renovations before we move in. So Steve, Brian, my dad, Brock, Jonathan Aumen, and Jeff Bradford worked on demolition most of yesterday morning and afternoon (Thank you guys!!!). We took pictures of the process for your enjoyment...but I'll warn you, these aren't for the faint of heart.


Here's a little video tour with Steve




Thanks for staying all day to help Dad! You're the best!



Steve, with the help and expertise of Brian (his brother) and many others I'm sure, will be working on the house over the next 2-3 months. We are sooo excited about this house. The sweet thing about it is that it will practically be a brand new house when it's all done...and we get to pick everything out just the way we want it. But there are a couple of unique things that give it that old house charm...like a tall brick chimney in the kitchen. It used to be attached to a furnace under the house, but now it's not really serving any purpose. But we love the look of it so we're going to leave it there. Also there are old hardwood floors in the living room and bedrooms that we are going to restore. They are one of my favorite parts of the house.

This house is such a blessing from the Lord and we are so thankful for it. I will be posting pictures of the renovation process as we go...should be an adventure!!

10 comments:

Bekah said...

Sweet! And..I didnt see the video tour...is there really a video? Cuz it didnt come up. So excited for you abs! Luv ya!

abbey said...

yeah i put it up there, but then had to reload it...it's still uploading! so slow!! thanks bek! we're super excited.

Katie Virginia Battaglia said...

Abbey! That is so exciting!!!

Michelle said...

Congratulations Abbey!!! How exciting is that?!

I like that you get a "new" house a steal of a price. Of course, lots of hard work and time will go into it, but I'm sure that makes it all the more special.

So exciting!

Kate Van said...

it so cute Ab! (on the outside)
Can't wait to help. . . paint or something simple!!!
love you!

Tess Bush said...

Congrats Abbey! What a blessing...all that work will be so worth it in the end! I love that you are taking pictures...it's so fun to see the before and after pictures. :-)

Rebekah Judd said...

I totally walk by that house every day...in fact, I think my dog has peed in that yard a lot...sorry. I've always thought that house just needed some serious TLC - It's so cute! I had no idea you'd be living THAT close. You can borrow a cup of sugar any time =)

Anonymous said...

yo its the easter bunny i looooooooooooove easter its the 1 time of year santa will let me eat candy. keep it cool.

Coleman Elizabeth said...

Abs! I didn't realize the house was right there.... The house we lived in until I was three is on Hazel Avenue. Three houses from the dead end on the right, I think. hehe, that is pretty funny.... can't wait to see it in person and help with the reconstruction! ; )
Love ya!

Katie Paulus said...

You weren't lying, Abbey! The house looks like it's coming along! We're praying for you!!! Love ya!